Help with Kickstart on FC7

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Oct 30 15:32:11 UTC 2007

Gary Schlachter wrote:
> I am having great difficulty trying to load FC7 via kickstart on a new
> server.    Here is the process I have followed:
>
>  1) Loaded FC7 on the server via Live-CD with no issues.
>  2) Copied initrd.img from server to my DHCP/tftp kickstart server
> along with vmlinuz
>  3) Created new ks.cfg for this server based on anaconda.cfg from
> /root on server
>  4) Booted the server.
>
>  The results:
>
>  1) I can see my kernel and init.img files downloaded to the new server.
>  2) Vast amounts of information displayed on console ending with the
> following:
>
>      RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
>      grow_buffers: requested out-of-ranger block BIGNUMBERHERE for
> device ram0
>      isofs_fill_super:  bread failed, dev=ram0, iso_blknum=17 block=...
>      No filesystem could mount root, tried: iso9660
>      kernel panic ...
>
>     I have tried loading additional modules into initrd.img but no
> joy.  Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!
>
> Gary

For PXE loads you need to use the images from images/pxeboot on the
CD/DVD image.

You also need to specify some kernel parameters:

From: http://www.linux-sxs.org/internet_serving/pxeboot.html

8) Now create the default pxelinux configuration inside the new file
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default:
prompt 1
default linux
timeout 100

label linux
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=9216

Good Luck!