Notes 8 Client on F7 (or F8)

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Oct 30 16:02:20 UTC 2007

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>> Has anyone found the set of magic incantations that will enable you to
>> install Lotus Notes 8.0 on F7 (or F8T3)?
>>
>> I've had nothing but nightmarish troubles getting any of it to work. All
>> of my on-line searches of archives have also turned up nothing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> --
>> In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
>> In practice there is.
>>
>> --Yogi Berra
>>

> Hmmm... Worked fine on several F7 systems here.  No problems at all.
>
> I really wish it was packageable, but it dumps a ton of stuff into the
> home directory of the person installing it.
>
> The Notes installer is NOT meant for multi user systems. :(

After thinking about it...

We all have SUN's java installed and alternatives set so that it is the
default.

We also all have eclipse fully loaded.

Assuming you installed the jdk1.5.0_09 rpm from SUN:

# set java alternatives
rm /var/lib/alternatives/java
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/java 1
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_09/bin/java 2
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/javac 1
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_09/bin/javac 2

If you have a different version of SUN's java installed, or if its in a
different place, simply modify the lines above appropriately.

Then try the Lotus Notes install again.

Good Luck!