nvidia

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:23:12 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>> As I understand it, this discussion is about drivers
>> that are _not_ in the main kernel tree.
>>
>> I quite often compile the orinoco_usb module,
>> which is not in the kernel tree,
>> and quite recent versions of this fail to compile with new kernels
>> (eg 2.6.23 as compared with 2.6.20).
>
> if you read my earlier post, i very explicitly mentioned that i was
> discussing in-tree drivers.

A curious thing, given that the discussion is about the things not
supported in-tree - or badly supported.

> if you insist on keeping your driver out
> of tree,

It's not 'my' driver in or out of the tree.  I just want to be able to
use the hardware and additional software of my choice.

> then *of course* you'll run into trouble when internal kernel
> interfaces change.  did you expect anything different?

Yes, I did expect something different, given Linus's initial acceptance
of proprietary kernel modules.  I thought his initial refusal to freeze
an interface was simply based on inexperience and that eventually he
would be able to design something permanent.  Obviously I was mistaken
or mislead.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com