can't get Xnest to work against Fedora 7

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 31 01:39:52 UTC 2007

Hugh Caley wrote:
> I have installed xorg-x11-server-Xnest-1.3.0.0-9.fc7 on my Fedora 7
> desktop, but I cannot get it to work against two other Fedora 7 boxes.
> I have used gdmsetup to make sure that xdmcp and remote connections are
> enabled.  I can make connections to RHEL 4 machines with no problem.

On my kubuntu system, I have this:

summer at Bandicoot:~$ dpkg --status xserver-xephyr
Package: xserver-xephyr
  Xephyr is an advanced nested X server.  It is similar to Xnest but it
supports
  modern extensions such as Render, RandR, and Composite.
summer at Bandicoot:~$

I've not yet tried to talk to F with it, but it works with tikanga-clone.

btw This is a whole lotta fun:
ssh -X bandicoot (or your choice)
summer at Bandicoot:~$ startkde

--