RPM

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 31 09:28:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 09:47 +0100, Andrew Kelly wrote:
> But a lot less convenient on the bus (train, plane, toilet, in the
> park near the lake, on the couch during commercials, in the waiting
> room at the doctor's office, etc and so forth). And they just aren't
> as bloody "sexy" as a nicely printed book, are they? :-)

Not to mention that you can read a book while the computer isn't
working, in an effort to make it work again.

> And, as this list and certain of its members have indeed quite
> recently shown, not every man page is written in a way that Joe
> Lunchbox can readily assimilate. Heck, let's be blunt here. Some of
> them are remarkably poorly written.

My first foray into Linux wasn't too successful.  I bought a traditional
two-inch thick book, and worked my way through the problem using it as
my guide.  It had some man page printouts, but was mostly instructive
texts, with some examples and in-depth explanations of those examples.

I got a working system, then proceeded into running a DNS server,
integrating it with a DHCP server, and so on and so forth.

It was also good for curing insomnia.  I used to read the NASA articles
featured in the Electronics Australia magazine for that, but the
magazine went out of print quite some time ago.  ;-)

> (Every try to loan a great man page to a friend?)

Gotta find one first...  I'll let you work out whether I'm referring to
a friend or a great man page.  ;-)

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.