Help with Kickstart on FC7

Gary Schlachter Gary.Schlachter at tavve.com
Wed Oct 31 15:05:01 UTC 2007

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Gary Schlachter wrote:
>> Things have changed but not a great deal of improvement.  It is
>> progresses further during the initrd but then panics with:
>>
>> Trying to resume from /dev/Volgroup00/LogVol01
>> No suspend signature on swap, not resuming
>>
>> Creating root device.
>> Mounting root filesystem.
>> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
>> Setting up other filesystems.
>> Setting up new root fs
>> setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
>> no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
>> setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
>> setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
>> Switching to new root and running init.
>> unmounting old /dev
>> unmounting old /proc
>> unmounting old /sys
>> switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>>
>> This this has two SATA drives using hardware RAID1.
>
> That is not the install image, but an active kernel image.  Is that
> what you intended?
>
> Are you trying to install, or PXE boot into a running system?
>
> If this is running on a hard drive, then Grub is confused here.
>
> Boot into rescue mode and run grub-install.
>
> Assuming that you are installing grub into the primary drive MBR:
>
> # grub-install --no-floppy --recheck /dev/sda
>
> # exit
>
> Try the boot again.
>
> Good Luck!
Maybe I need to back up a  little to explain my process.  I am using a
combination of DHCP/PXE/TFTP and kickstart to load systems with the same
custom Fedora image.  I have a single server which provides all of the
necessary information. So the boot flows as follows:

       Target is configured to boot via DHCP.  DHCP server will be
called server1.
       DHCP on server1 is configured for a range of IP addresses and the
"filename" option pointing to my /tftpboot/kickstart directory
       PXE on server1 is configured on server1 to present a list of boot
options.  One of which is FC7.  That PXE configuration looks like

           [X86PC/UNDI/fedora-core-7-install/ImageFile_Name]
           0
           2
           linux

       In the above directory, there is linux.0, linux-1->vmlinuz, and
linux.2->initrd.img

       In the /tftpboot/kickstart directory, there are links like
10.254.13.112-kickstart->ks.cfg

       So when the FC7 option is chosen from PXE, I specify a kernel of
"ks" for kickstart.  From there, linux.1 (vmlinuz) and
linux.2(initrd.img) are downloaded and then the ks.cfg is processed to
load the custom configuration/RPMS.  My problem occurs when linux.2
(initrd.img) is loaded, it fails with the previously indicated
messages.  I thought I had a bad initrd.img for my system.  My other
thoughts involved incorrect RAMDISK size.  I do not believe I am getting
to my ks.cfg although it is difficult to tell.

Gary