send e-mail without use sendmail

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 17:05:11 UTC 2007

Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 31/10/2007 alle 10.14 -0600, Frank Cox ha scritto:
>> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:03:02 -0500
>> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs to
>>> dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
>>> dnl #
>>> dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl
>> I never figured out how to make that work when the ISP's mailserver requires
>> SMTP AUTH.  Not that I tried very hard, I suppose.
>
> The SMTP server not use SMTP AUTH, is my email server, I have check this
> option, I have set on internal server the smarthost option, the message
> is send to smarthost (my email server) but the message, send from my
> email server to destination mailserver, have the header not correctly
> set (Return-Path: <root at localhost.localdomain>), then my message is
> reject from many mailserver.
>
> Now I still check "email" http://www.cleancode.org/projects/email ....

You must have a real domain name to send email.  That won't change even
if you use a different tool to send, and most destinations will reject
on that basis.  If your hostname isn't set to a fully qualified internet
domain, tell sendmail to rewrite the outgoing messages with your isp
email address.
dnl # The following example makes mail from this host and any additional
dnl # specified domains appear to be sent from mydomain.com
dnl #
dnl MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl

And if this mail is generated as root, you'll want to comment this line
with a leading dnl:
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl

--
   Les Mikesell