RPM

Alan M. Evans fedoralist at alanevans.org
Wed Oct 31 18:53:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 12:25 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

>     Why don't you do that important work and leave what I write alone?

Possibly because you were the one provoking in this case...

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> given that that book appears to have not been updated since 2000, i'd
> suggest that it doesn't have much value these days, given all the
> rpm-related developments that have happened since then.

And he wasn't even replying to you. It's perfectly valid and useful to
point out that a book is probably out of date. Nevertheless, you felt it
necessary to reply...

Karl Larsen wrote:

> I take rday you know of a newer book in pdf form that we can all
> make a book of that was written this month

Which from my reading is a bit haughty, and definitely confrontational.
Robert nowhere suggested that there even existed a more up-to-date
resource; he only warned that the book being discussed likely contained
some outdated information. He took offense, rightly or wrongly, and
stepped it up. But it should be noted for the record that you started
this. You could have left what he wrote alone, but you didn't. His
addition elevated the technical merit of the thread; yours did not.