ATI video comes out of the closet

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:26:33 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

> Though, those others have the hardware vendor write drivers (often
> badly) for specific systems.  Outside of those systems, you're screwed
> (particular versions of Windows, or differing hardware - PPC, Intel,
> etc.).
>
> There's probably quite a few of us that bought some made-for-Windows
> hardware (sound card, graphics card, etc.), that never worked right from
> the get go.  The next update or two didn't really fix it, and there
> wasn't a third update.  So I don't give much credence to the "things are
> easier on Windows" mantra.

I've never said that things are easier on Windows, but I will concede
that they have been stable for at least the time span between Win2ksp2
(perhaps even NTsp6a) through everything before vista.

But I would say that "things are easier on a Mac" where things also
don't require source and do work across the relevant CPU lines.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com