ATI video comes out of the closet

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 15:03:51 UTC 2007

Bruce Byfield wrote:

>> On the machines where I've used fedora, things that worked in the
>> initial install have broken regularly in updates [snip]  These
>> are specifically fedora issues, though, not Linux in general.
>
> Actually, they're update issues.

Which translates to security issues for distributions that don't split
security and behavior-changing updates.

> Having a nagging updater is not the
> best of ideas, because many people will update automatically, and
> there's no provision in the software for explaining which are security
> updates that you should have and which are minor updates that you could
> live without.

And in the life of a fedora distribution there will always be security
updates in the kernel and no way to keep a working version without
keeping the vulnerability.

> I've seen the same sort of problems with other distributions, as well as
> Windows.

We have a lot of windows machines on all the same hardware as has broken
with fedora, and keep them all updated.  I can't recall any of them ever
failing to boot after an update, at least in the post win2ksp2 era which
would be pretty close to the entire lifespan of fedora.  Windows has its
problems, but binary device drivers aren't among them as far as working
for end users goes.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com