security question about /var/log/secure

Vivek J. Patankar vivek.patankar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 17:47:38 UTC 2007

Gregory Machin wrote:
> remeber to affect the permissions ... and what  Connection closed by
> UNKNOWN mean ... does it mean it could not resolve the connection dns
> name ??

I had something of this sort last month. I suggest you go through
/var/log/messages and see if you get messages similar to "pam_tally:
pam_get_uid; no such user UNKNOWN". The messages are exactly one minute
apart. Smells like bot/script activity. The entry above the pam_tally
should tell you where it originated from.
See last months archive for the complete discussion of my case. The
subtect of the thread was NOUSER.
Hope this helps.

--
Regards,