OT: Use Thunderbird to pick up ROOT Mail?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 20:07:06 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:
> So, think about doing this.....

Ok, I've thought about it.

> 1.  Create an email account of type "Unix Movemail" using your local
> information.

Umm, using Thunderbird? I've so far been unable to get
it to work with multiple accounts.

> 2.  Make the change in /root/.forward or /etc/aliases to point root's email
> to your local mail store....it will end up in /var/mail/username.

Yes, I'd use my regular user.

> 3.  Create a message filter on the Inbox of that Movemail account to move
> mails from that Inbox to whatever folder you want in your POP account's area
> when email is fetched.

So far, I've been unable to get filters to work automatically,
but they do work on command. That I can probably get to work.

Others have mentioned IMAP, which I also don't know how to
configure.

> Sorry for the confusion....

No problem.

Mike