Re: DD not working--SUCCESS!

On Saturday 1 September 2007 4:12:02 pm Karl Larsen wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Karl Larsen wrote:
> >>    If you want to copy something big from one partition to another
> >> the old dd method is for you. You have to do it right. This means that:
> >>
> >> 1. The destination partition MUST be at least a byte larger than the
> >> source partition where the data is coming from. This is essential!
> >
> > This isn't true.  Can you explain why you think it is?
>
>     Yes I can. My first try with dd I tried to put a 40GB partition into
> a 20GB partition and dd errored out. Then I read man dd.

Erm, what.

Please explain how the fact that you cannot squeeze a 40G partition into a 20G
one, something I would have thought obvious, leads you to the conclusion that
the destination has to be bigger than the source.

All this proves is 40 > 20 : hardly ground a breaking discovery...

For the record the destination has to be THE SAME size or bigger. There is no
requirement (I am aware of) that it must be at least a byte bigger....

Chris