How to modify xorg.conf from command line in rescue console (F7)

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Sat Sep 1 16:57:50 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
> On Saturday 1 September 2007 4:55:55 pm Tim wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 16:50 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> Detailed instructions on how to start a command line editor for this
>>> file would be appreciated as well as how to save and exit from it.
>> And to provide a third alternative...  ;-)   Which might be necessary,
>> if joe or emacs aren't already installed, and if you can't manage to
>> install either of them.  vi is probably installed by default.  You'd
>> start it with the vi command and the filepath/filename.
>>
>> e.g. vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>
>> Hit the insert key to start inserting text wherever the cursor is (it
>> starts up in a reading mode).  Type what you want to do to the file.
>> Hit escape to get out of the editing mode.  Then colon w q <enter> to
>> write (w) your changes, and (q) quit the program.  e.g. :wq
>
> Editors are one of those things where it is really each to their own.
>
> For the record, I would not recommend vi/vim as the first editor to try, if
> they are new to linux. Yes, it might be the only one installed by default,
> but that can be fixed with a simple
>
>  > yum install emacs joe nano
>
> (assuming you have network)
>
> I say this since personally, I have never understood the vi distinction
> between reading mode and editting mode, and in my experiences its a concept
> quite confusing to a lot of people..
>
> Chris

I'm not sure I'd put emacs on a first editor either. Trying to
explain the keystroke confuses most people. BTW, it's META-1
Ctrl-X Ctrl-C to save on typing or ESC-X save-buffers-kill-emacs
(for the more adventurous). ;-)

That of course is a little tongue-in-cheek humor, I'm an emacs
user since 1978.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com