No

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun Sep 2 17:31:42 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 18:11 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Just imagine how hard that will be
> > now for the new user looking for the one simple command line it takes to
> > use dd.
>
> Of course any sane human being would read the man page, but
> apparently it's more fun just to guess what will happen.

Man pages are not useful to someone without considerable background.  As
you gain experience (and the knowledge that others are willing to share
with you), they become more helpful.  Most man pages are only basically
useful, which is what spurred the development of Info as I understand
it, and of course I often see even the most knowledgeable of our
compatriots here refer to wiki pages, wiki books, Fedora documentation,
and other sources, and some of these sources conflict, but if you have
some other knowledge and experience, you can sort the wheat from the
chaff (most of the time anyway), and get what you need.  For someone
like Karl, who is using the machine for a task, and only learning what
he needs to get by, these sources are often less than useful.  Trust me,
I remember learning on my own decades ago.  That is why I try to be
clear, concise and helpful.

	If you have "the gift" of technology comprehension, you are lucky.
Most folks are not.

I hope you can find the help you need in those resources, but I also
hope that I and others on this list will be helpful to you as well.

Regards,
Les H