How to modify xorg.conf from command line in rescue console (F7)

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Sep 2 18:49:30 UTC 2007

Hi,

> At this time I should have checked that all was well by logging off
> and logging on as the new account and also by restarting Fedore, but
> instead I accepted the 178 updates...

yes, Fedora evolves fast ;)

> After several hours of downloading and installing Fedora asked to
> restart and I did so.
>
> Unhappily, the start was no good. Now when the login screen should
> appear in 16 bit color mode as per my changes in xorg.conf for some
> reason it starts up in 24 bit bode and the screen is unintelligible.
>
> :-(
>
> My question now is if this failure is due to the 178 updates I allowed
> to be installed or if it would not have worked anyway?

It doesn't sound like you did much wrong, the 178 updates shouldn't have
borked your xorg.conf.

> Is there a "plug-n-play" system also on Fedora that will see that the
> video card I have should be able to run 24 bit and sets it like that
> no matter what I have written in the xorg.conf file????

No, if you tell the system to work at 16 bit, it should respect that.

My guess is your xorg.conf isn't quite correct. I suggest you post the full
file here.

Also, it would be useful to look at your Xorg log file. You should find it
at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It might contain hints as to what is going wrong.

For reference, I've pasted my xorg.conf below. You will see in the Screen
section I have sub sections for various color bits and with various
resolutions. I have my default depth set to 24, but I see no reason why you
should be able to have something similar but with your default at 16.

(Note, you cannot use my file directly, as of course it refers to different
hardware, I just post it as a working example... For instance I have an
nvidia graphics card and use the nvidia binary driver. You I think are using
the vesa driver ? )

Chris

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 130.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 200.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "NoLogo" "true"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        Option      "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24

Modes    "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16

Modes    "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     8

Modes    "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "Disable"