changing passwd hashing -> /etc/shadow

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 04:23:29 UTC 2007

I posted this question previously on 2 mailing lists (the other one rejected
the posting due to it also being directed here).

This is generic to all distros, but I am using fedora-7 on a project and would
like to know where this can be changed at.

Currently, my FC-7 install is using the default md5 hashing in /etc/shadow.
unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any information on how to change
this, let alone where.

anyone have some useful links that can help (I've tried google, but all I've
managed to get flooded with is encryption whitepapers and things unrelated to
linux).

thanks.

TMH