No networking with Fedora Core 7

Garry T. Williams gtwilliams at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:54:29 UTC 2007

On Monday 03 September 2007 07:18:17 john wrote:
> I am having networking issues after installing Fedora Core 7.  After
> updating using the live update the networking no longer works.
>
> I have found that booting using the original kernel
> 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 works however booting using the new kernel,
> creating after running the live update, no longer
> works(2.6.33.4-65.fc7)
>
> After running the new Kernel network manager will try to connect
> then say it is connect.  All attempts to use the network will fail.
>
> I am running Fedora Core 7 with a Extreme Striker motherboard.  It
> has a Duo Core 2.4GZ processor with Nvidia Corporation MCP55
> controller.
>
> My cable mode is attached to eth1.
>
> Here is the boot log:

The relevant messages are:

> NetworkManager: <info>  Device eth1 activation scheduled...
> dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
> NetworkManager: <info>  Device 'eth1' DHCP transaction took too long (>45s), stopping it.

The failure is happening in DHCP.  The DHCP server (cable modem?) is
not responding to the request for configuration on eth1.  After the
failure to obtain a configuration (IP address), NetworkManager falls
back to configuring a (useless) link local address.

I have no idea *why* there's no response from your DHCP server.

--
Garry T. Williams --- +1 678 656-4579