Market share: Windows vs Linux vs Mac vs ??

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Sep 3 18:28:19 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:52:17 -0400
> Eric <spamsink at scoot.netis.com> wrote:
>

>> Any of you know that the latest breakdown in market share is for general
>> personal computer operating systems between Windows, Linux, Macintosh, and ??
>>

> I don't think you could get statistics that are even close to accurate.  How
> many people download and install Linux on machines that were originally
> purchased with Windows licenses?  How many people install Linux on machines
> that they build from parts?

    My new computer was sold as a Windows PC and it is supposed to only
work with Windows 2000 and XP. When I asked if it would support Linux
they said NO! So market share of Linux is unknown. Windows claims to
have over 90% of the world computer market. I think this is about right.

    A Mac is very expensive compared to a PC. So they sell just a few.
My wife thinks a Mac is easier to use than Windows XP. So my next
computer purchase is a Mac.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User