Installing Fedora7 in a VirtualPC2007 guest?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 11:08:28 UTC 2007

> I modified the start options on the first boot by adding 3 to the list
> of parameters I used previously.
> THis brought up a character based set of screens that were much like
> the ones I had glimpsed behind the graphics mess on the graphics
> screens. :-)
> So I used these to continue the install through. When I was done
> Fedora started a sequence of commands on the black character screen
> and finally stopped at the screen I am currently on with a prompt:
>
> Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
> Kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 on an i686
> localhost login:
>
> THis did not happen in the graphics version, I seem to recall just
> this line there too but then Fedora automatically continued, now it
> just sits there.
> What am I supposed to do now?

This sounds like a fairly standard init level 3 boot

It sounds like the redhat graphical boot is the casue of the garbled
characters you where seeing. Try booting up to init level 5, but
removing the 'rhgb' options as well ?

If this works, you can make the change permanently by editting the file
/etc/grub.conf and making the same changes there.

Chris

Remember that this is the very first