No sound on ASUS notebook

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Sep 4 12:22:38 UTC 2007

Astakhov Peter wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I bought ASUS A7M notebook.
> Fedora installed ok, but no sound.
> Everything looks good, but sound not working.
> What shall I do?
>
> Peter Astakhov
>

> alias ath0 ath_pci
> #alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> #options snd-hda-intel model=asus
> options snd cards_limit=8
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
> options snd-usb-audio index=7

It looks like you have a USB sound device in addition to the
built-in Intel HDA sound system. So I have to ask what sound device
you are trying to use.

If you are having problems with the built in sound, then there are a
couple of things to check. The first thing is the mixer settings. By
default, the sound levels are low, and some channels are turned off.
Another possible trouble spot is that the first set of HDA sound
definitions are commented out, and a second set without setting the
model is there. Because of this, you may not be using the correct
settings for your sound setup. The Intel HDA sound interface is
configurable for the hardware you have hooked up to it, and if you
use the wrong configuration for your hardware, some things do not
work correctly, or at all. On my notebook, if you do not specify the
correct model, you do not have the master volume control, so it is
hard to hear anything until you correct that.

Mikkel