Fw: FC7: 1680x1050 screen resolution on thinkpad T61 with Intel 965GM X3100 video chipset.

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 21:13:05 UTC 2007

The new F7 intel video driver from:
xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.0.0-4.fc7

...xorg.conf...
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "intel"
EndSection

Seems to handle the new X1300 in 2D mode just fine.
3D is still a no go. (locks the system)

Thanks! But this does not do anything: in particular, I do have this installed on my system. xorg.conf does show the correct thing.

one thing to note though is that i get the following as my video card using system-config/display

intel - Experimental modesetting driver for Intel integrated graphics chipsets

rather than

i810 - Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets, including i810, i815, 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, 865G, 915G, 915GM, and 945GM.

Of course, I realize that 965GM is not listed in this list above, and forcing its selection killed X for me and I had to revert back....

Has anyone been able to get it to work?

Many thanks,
Trotter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell Inspiron 1420N has the same new intel mobile chip set.

Sound, however, did not work and required a fresh build of the alsa
kernel drivers and libraries.  So support of this new intel platform is
upstream, and should work out of the box in Fedora, soon.

see Justin's Blog here:

http://blog.justinconover.com/2007/08/16/1420-dell-inspiron-and-fedora-7/

Here is the meet of alsa fixes for the new intel mobile chipset:

# yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
# yum install mercurial
# cd /usr/src
# mkdir alsa && cd alsa
# hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-driver alsa-driver
# cd alsa-driver
# hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel alsa-kernel
# ./hgcompile && make install
# echo options snd-hda-intel model=3stack > /etc/modprobe.d/sound
# modprobe snd-hda-intel
# system-config-sound (test it)

# reboot (to make sure it sticks, or if the test before didn't work)

For networking, the new kernel (2.6.22.4-65.fc7) has both the wired and
wireless covered, and so all that is needed is the firmware:

# yum install iwlwifi-firmware

The only known (to me) issue left with the new intel chipset is suspend.

Hibernate works perfectly, but suspend on Fedora comes back at
brightness 0 (dimmest setting) and cannot be altered.  An additional
suspend without reboot will cause the old no screen, no keyboard
problem.  Normal fixes for that do not work.

Good luck!

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/