Fw: FC7: 1680x1050 screen resolution on thinkpad T61 with Intel 965GM X3100 video chipset.

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Sep 4 21:40:32 UTC 2007

Globe Trotter wrote:
> The new F7 intel video driver from:
> xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.0.0-4.fc7
>
> ...xorg.conf...
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "intel"
> EndSection
>
> Seems to handle the new X1300 in 2D mode just fine.
> 3D is still a no go. (locks the system)
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> Thanks! But this does not do anything: in particular, I do have this installed on my system. xorg.conf does show the correct thing.
>
> one thing to note though is that i get the following as my video card using system-config/display
>
> intel - Experimental modesetting driver for Intel integrated graphics chipsets
>
> rather than
>
> i810 - Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets, including i810, i815, 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, 865G, 915G, 915GM, and 945GM.
>
> Of course, I realize that 965GM is not listed in this list above, and forcing its selection killed X for me and I had to revert back....
>
> Has anyone been able to get it to work?
>
> Many thanks,
> Trotter
>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Dell Inspiron 1420N has the same new intel mobile chip set.
>
> Sound, however, did not work and required a fresh build of the alsa
> kernel drivers and libraries.  So support of this new intel platform is
> upstream, and should work out of the box in Fedora, soon.
>
> see Justin's Blog here:
>
> http://blog.justinconover.com/2007/08/16/1420-dell-inspiron-and-fedora-7/
>
> Here is the meet of alsa fixes for the new intel mobile chipset:
>
> # yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
> # yum install mercurial
> # cd /usr/src
> # mkdir alsa && cd alsa
> # hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-driver alsa-driver
> # cd alsa-driver
> # hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel alsa-kernel
> # ./hgcompile && make install
> # echo options snd-hda-intel model=3stack > /etc/modprobe.d/sound
> # modprobe snd-hda-intel
> # system-config-sound (test it)
>

> # reboot (to make sure it sticks, or if the test before didn't work)
>

> For networking, the new kernel (2.6.22.4-65.fc7) has both the wired and
> wireless covered, and so all that is needed is the firmware:
>
> # yum install iwlwifi-firmware
>
> The only known (to me) issue left with the new intel chipset is suspend.
>
> Hibernate works perfectly, but suspend on Fedora comes back at
> brightness 0 (dimmest setting) and cannot be altered.  An additional
> suspend without reboot will cause the old no screen, no keyboard
> problem.  Normal fixes for that do not work.
>
> Good luck!

Hmmm ... this is from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log with the intel driver:

(II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
        i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
        E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, 965G, 965G, 965Q, 946GZ,
        965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33

So it looks like it should work on your system.  Is your version the
same as listed? (2.0.0-4)

The chip set is very new ...

The driver also announces itself as a new version of the i810 driver.
It is also my understanding that the specs from intel are good on the
new chip set, so it should work.

Perhaps yours is a variant that is not covered, yet.

There is a newer version of the above mentioned rpm in development,
(2.1.1-3) maybe that one will work for you.  drm will be broken because of a
version mismatch, but 3D is not ready yet anyways.

You can safely install it with:

# yum  --enablerepo=development install xorg-x11-drv-i810

It should come down by itself.

Give that one a shot to see if it supports your variant.

Good Luck!