Successful install of Fedora7 in VPC2007 guest

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 5 07:45:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 07:02 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
> I actually first tried that, logging in as myself. But when I wanted
> to edit grub.conf using the text editor it would not allow me and I
> could not see any way of starting the text editor with root priviliges
> either.

You'd issue the command for it from within that command line interface.
That sort of thing (having a separate CLI window for root) is the usual
way of starting things with root privileges when you're logged in as
yourself.

> Seems like the su in the command window is only valid inside the
> command window itself.

Correct.

> Is there a way to start the text editor as root????

>From that CLI...  You've got a plethora of editors to call on, gedit,
pico, nano, vi, vim, gvim, emacs, joe, etc., depending on what you've
installed, of course.

> But using nano was a disaster, because after adding the extra
> parameters somehow nano split the kernel command line into two
> separate lines

I'm not familiar with nano, but it might have options about that
behaviour.  Gedit and vi/vim/gvim don't do that, by default.

> So I think it is safer to log on as root the first time so that the
> final setup chores can all be accomplished without permission
> problems.

I don't think I'd say it's safer, but it's probably easier.

> Is there a linux utility like the Windows chkdsk that can be used to
> repair the disk if it is corrupted? If so, how is it used?

"fsck" (check and repair a Linux file system).  Have a look at it's man
file, see if you can work it out.  Write back about things you don't
understand, someone will help.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.4-65.fc7 i686 i386