curious about fedora-shipped "initramfs" image?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 5 12:01:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Andy Green wrote:

> > i'm assuming that any command in the initramfs nash "init" script has
> > to come from one of two places, no?
> > listed in the man page, and it's not a separate executable.  so what's
> > the story with "hotplug"?  and "mkblkdevs" for that matter?  if
> > they're nash built-ins, they're certainly not mentioned in the man
> > page.
> >
> > or am i missing something?
>
> No, you're quite right... nash manpage says
>
> Mon Aug 02 2004
>
> at the bottom, although in the sources it hies from 2006.  It seems
> you will have to "use the source, luke" if you want to understand
> these exotic nash builtins.

and just to confirm my original question, any command being run in the
init script *must* come from one of exactly two places:

1) nash built-in, or
2) the initramfs directory structure

i ask since i just noticed another command, "stabilized", that i'm
going to assume is yet another built-in that didn't make it into the
latest man page.

i think i'll just download the source and poke around myself.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca