Updates available, what do they do?

My newly installed Fedora7 has discovered no less than 183 updates it
suggests I install.
In the list of updates there are a few marked with blue double arrows
to the left.
What does this mean?

One of these is a kernel update, I don't think I'd chance that because
it may probably disrupt my running machine given that its platform is
a VPC2007 virtual machine...

So what is the recommended procedure here?
- Uncheck the kernel and click OK?
- keep the kernel check?

Bo Berglund