changing intrd

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Sep 5 22:12:41 UTC 2007

    I read the man initrd and it said to make a new file for use you do
this:

CONFIGURATION
       The /dev/initrd is a read-only block device assigned major number
1 and
       minor number 250.  Typically /dev/initrd is  owned  by
root.disk  with
       mode  0400  (read  access  by root only).  If the Linux system
does not
       have /dev/initrd already created, it can be created with the
following
       commands:

               mknod -m 400 /dev/initrd b 1 250
               chown root:disk /dev/initrd
       Also,  support  for  both "RAM disk" and "Initial RAM disk"
(e.g.  CON-
       FIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y ) support  must
be  com-
       piled  directly  into  the Linux kernel to use /dev/initrd.  When
using
       /dev/initrd, the RAM disk driver cannot be loaded as a module.

    Well I looked for /dev/initrd in this computer and there is none! So
I think the man page is wrong! Well this is it about for me. All the
Google data is for Red Hat 6.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User