kernel panic

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Sep 6 00:46:49 UTC 2007

Jacques B. wrote:
> On 9/5/07, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>
>>     I have 2 gb of ram now and when I try to boot the copied Fedora 7 it
>> errors out this way.
>>
>>     The root is right and the kernel address is right.
>> Uncompressing Linux is fine
>>
>> Unable to access resume device (LABEL=swap2)
>>
>> 6 lines of trash and then kernel panic.
>>
>>     I have already loaded a 386 fedora 7 on the computer and it loads
>> without a problem. So the problem is that the copied version will not
>> run in the new computer.
>>

>> --
>>
>>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>         Linux User
>>         #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>
>> --
>>

> Just for clarification here, am I correct to assume the following?
> 1. You have an old computer with a working copy of F7.
> 2. You did a dd of that onto a new drive (using the Rescue CD as
> previously discussed).
> 3. You put that new drive in a new computer but F7 will not boot from
> that computer but it (the new drive) will boot in the old computer.
>
> Is that correct?  Sorry but I wasn't clear on that from previous
> threads.  Maybe others who've replied are so I may be asking useless
> questions here.
>
> If the steps above are correct:
>
> What are the specs of the old computer (RAM, processor - i.e.
> Intel/AMD with its speed and 32 or 64 bit, and hard drive - PATA/IDE
> or SATA)?  What are the specs of the new computer?
>
> If they are not correct, what are the correct steps (plus the info on
> the RAM, processor, and hard drive - PATA/IDE or SATA)
>
> I am not experienced in trouble shooting kernel panic. But I have a
> feeling that those who are trying to help you may be missing some
> important information to help you with this task.
>
> Jacques B.

    We are all in the dark Jacques. I have no way of telling what the
new computer has in the way of ram (I have 2 gb of 400 MHz Buffalo
Select stuff but there is no information on what the computer calls it.
And I don't know what kind of Internet cards are in the mother board.

    I don't know what goes in the /etc/modprobe.conf file. It is all one
great mystery.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User