Updates available, what do they do?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 13:57:47 UTC 2007

> One of these is a kernel update, I don't think I'd chance that because
> it may probably disrupt my running machine given that its platform is
> a VPC2007 virtual machine...
>
> So what is the recommended procedure here?
> - Uncheck the kernel and click OK?
> - keep the kernel check?

I would not avoid kernel updates per se. Fedora evolves fast and if you
do this consistently you can quickly find your self out of date and in
more trouble.

Also note, as another has pointed out multiple kernels can co-exist side
by side. Installing a new kernel will *not* remove your currently
running (and presumably working) kernel.

Also, as long as you have added the kernel boot options you need to
/etc/grub.conf, these options should be copied to the new kernel boot
options by default.

I would

1. Get all updates, including new kernel
2. Check that the new kernel is in /etc/grub.conf, with the correct options.
3. Reboot to try out the new kernel.

All going well (and much more often than not it does) the new kernel
will work just fine. If not, you can simply choose the old kernel at the
grub boot menu and boot to that.

Chris