kernel panic

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Sep 6 17:43:46 UTC 2007

> On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 13:49 -0300, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
>> What I am saying is that if one changes the label of a partition
>> and alters fstab, it is also necessary to delete blkid.tab, before
>> booting the system.
>
> I haven't noticed a need to do that, and I've made many label changes.

Yes it still can't be right as described.  /etc/fstab is not available
during initrd-time either, no filesystems are except the one from the
initrd.  Stuff only gets mounted according to /etc/fstab during the
initscripts.

In short before it mounts / (containing /etc/fstab and
/etc/blkid/blkid.tab) it can't even discover that we didn't follow this
rule, therefore it can't interfere with mounting /.  But I'm sure you
are right it can mess other things up if you don't take care to follow
whatever it is important for (maybe tracking USB sticks or somesuch, fom
looking at mine?).

-Andy