Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Bruce Byfield wrote:

On Thu, 2007-06-09 at 16:55 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

While good, it's still not as good as having proper open-source drivers
supported by the manufacturer as well as the community.

The Noveau driver project faces the same unfortunate situation with Nvidia as
the OpenOffice folks do when reverse-engineering the MS doc format:  there is
nothing stopping Nvidia from making a few "improvements" that will break the
Noveau drivers more-or-less at will.

Counterpoint: The community is more strongly motivated to keep the
drivers current than the manufacturer. And, given the FOSS community's
strong record with reverse-engineering, I doubt that Nvidia will keep
ahead of Nouveau for any length of time once the basic drivers are done.

Depends. For basic operation, yes. But there are a couple of patented bits in OpenGL that nVIDIA supports. Is Nouveau going to support those as well? I don't know how many apps depend on those pieces, but it could be an issue depending on what fails to work.

Personally I have a bit problem with patents incorporated into standards. Please insert screaming rant here.

--
Refrigerator Rule #1: If you don't remember when you bought it, Don't eat it.