ATI video comes out of the closet

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Sep 7 03:13:47 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell writes:

>>> Are you running the driver that nVidia gives away and fedora makes you
>>> go out of your way to install and use?
>>
>> I think you mean nVidia makes you go out of the way.
>
> No I don't mean that.  I don't have to make any extra effort for nVidia
> drivers on Windows or Macs.  nVidia themselves are doing more work for
> the Linux version since they can't count on a stable interface.  Fedora
> could redistribute the driver as provided by nVidia but chooses not to.

Yes, like Fedora chooses not to distribute any other non-free driver. The
reason you don't have to make any extra effort with Windows or Macs is
because they are not free software, but Fedora is.

>> People can get
>> FOSS Intel drivers with full rights directly from Fedora, so I don't
>> think Fedora is the issue here.
>
> Well we disagree, then.  I have no interest in having source or rights
> to do anything but use the devices.

In that case, you are really much better off using Windows or Macs. There's
nothing wrong with that, of course.

>                                       I just want drivers that work and
> that work should only have to be done once.

Fair enough. I think that you should really be looking at Windows or Macs,
then, where you can get and use as many non-free software and drivers as you
want to have.

>>  Apparently, ATI agrees.
>
> They are probably just tired of trying to keep up with the kernel
> breaking the interface in every update.  It will be interesting to see
> how many people _really_ are able to do better than the vendor engineers
> at writing drivers, though.

This is a false dichotomy. Case in counterpoint: Intel.