Re: Moving to a new partition for /usr

John Pierce wrote:
Hello, I have created a new partition labeled usr01 and I want to copy
all of the contents of /usr to that partition and then use it as the
new partition.  This is the steps that I have taken, I would
appreciate any comments if what I propose will function correctly.

Installed new drive
What new drive?
made partition labeled usr01
mounted new partition on /mnt
cd /usr
cp -R --preserve=all * /mnt

   I would use cp -a and that works fine
That is what I have done so far, now if I do the following will the
system boot up and work correctly?

umount /mnt
edit /etc/fstab and make the new partition /dev/sdb1 mount to /usr
reboot.

Your leaving out some important steps. I am not sure what your rebooting?

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User