Removing Grub

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Sep 7 12:24:16 UTC 2007

Alessandro Brezzi wrote:
> If your "restore CD" is an image (as for Toshiba notebooks), you can zap
> your mbr in a live CD (F7 Live, Knoppix ...) using dd:
>
> dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
>
> assuming your HD is SATA / SCSI allocated as sda
>
> Another hint: are you shure to load from the restore CD and not from the HD?

Just a word of caution - only do this is you want to wipe out the
partition table, as well as clear the mbr. I think using bs=492 will
clear the mbr wile leaving the partition table. (I could have the
number wrong.) This is handy if you need to preserve smaller
partition sizes when you do a restore.

Mikkel