Successful install of Fedora7 in VPC2007 guest

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Sep 7 22:51:31 UTC 2007

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 23:24:25 +0200, Bo Berglund
> <bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:
>
>> 26. Next is the sound card setup, but you can continue here because
>>    sound will not work.... Click Finish.
>
> In the vpc newsgroup I got this response:
> (C)
> Sound does work, but only after you add a line to a config file. See
> http://vpc.visualwin.com, the notes for Fedora Core 5 (five).
>
> Add "modprobe snd-sb16" to /etc/rc.local
>
> I did so and now after a reboot I can use the
> System/Administration/Soundcard Detection applet and it can produce
> test sounds.
>
> But when I go to System/Preferences/Hardware/Sound I cannot make any
> of the different sounds play at all.
>
> Why is this?
> In one case it produces sound and in the other there is nothing.
> Do I have to be root to play sound? Don't think so but in the first
> case I was prompted for root password but not in the second case.
>
> Strange how this is working and then not.
>
> Bo Berglund

The reason that you need root's password to run Soundcard Detection
is that you are modifying files that only root is allowed to write
to. You are also loading a kernel module, again requiring root
permission. Console.perms should take care of giving the user logged
in at the console permission to use the sound devices.

Now, as far as the system sounds not working, check your mixer settings.

Mikkel