Fedora 7: a problem with ntp ?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Sep 8 10:03:42 UTC 2007

>>> 128.439  -3332.9 1608.39 [root at frontend_light ~]# ntpstat
>>> unsynchronised
>>>  time server re-starting

Is ntpd running after this?

# ps -Af | grep ntpd

>> And why is it restarting?  I don't know the answer there, but someplace in a
>> log, there should be a clue.
>
> I don't know either... Above I provided all the logs regarding ntpd.
> There's nothing special, really... It's almost the same as on my
> Fedora Core 6 machine, except that ntp here is not getting synced...

I guess I would strace ntpd, then.  If it was selinux, you'd be seeing
avc messages in your /var/log/messages anyway.

# service ntpd stop
# strace -f ntpd -u ntp:ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g

-Andy