Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Sep 8 19:56:21 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> actually, Les has made it clear that he believes the fundamental problem
> is the GPL license which requires that device drivers be compatibly
> licensed to become part of distribution and that GPL license causes
> companies such as ATI & nVidia to provide less than their best efforts
> for Linux.
>
> Obviously, Les' opinion is not a very popular one on this list but he is
> entitled to his opinion and it doesn't make him a bad guy.
>
> Some people on this list find it hard to disagree without being
> disagreeable...we should leave that type of behavior to politics where
> it belongs  ;-)
>
> Craig

He is a lot like a guy on the local MLUG list - he was always
preaching that people should switch to BSD. (I don't rember what
flavor...) Once is a while he would have a helpful answer, but
usually changing to BSD was his answer to the problem. With Les, it
is that the Fedora why of doing things is wrong. He may present it
in different forms, but that is what it always boils down to. He is
entitled to his opinion, but it gets old hearing it over and over
and over again. He keeps insisting that the philosophy behind Fedora
is wrong. While he is entitled to that opinion as well, I think he
would be better off moving to a distribution that has a philosophy
he agrees with instead of complaining Fedora's. Probably a
distribution that is not based in the U.S.A. so they can include all
those patent encumbered things that Redhat can not include.

Then again, I usually ignore him, unless I am in a perverse mood.
His arguments are predictable. Facts like Redhat can not legally
include something, or that something is ageist their philosophy
don't get through to him. About like some of the electrical
engineers I have worked with - you could not tell them they were
making a mistake, so you had them sign off on the work so that when
it failed, the blame went to them. (Some of the failures were rather
spectacular, but we always took steps to limit the real damage.)

Mikkel