ATI video comes out of the closet

Bruce Byfield bbyfield at axion.net
Sat Sep 8 20:10:33 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-09 at 10:03 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > I've seen the same sort of problems with other distributions, as well as
> > Windows.
>
> We have a lot of windows machines on all the same hardware as has broken
> with fedora, and keep them all updated.  I can't recall any of them ever
> failing to boot after an update, at least in the post win2ksp2 era which
> would be pretty close to the entire lifespan of fedora.  Windows has its
> problems, but binary device drivers aren't among them as far as working
> for end users goes.

Then you've had the luck of the draw, and I haven't. SP2 for Windows XP
broke two installations on me, and several minor patches also caused
problems for me on different machines. Moreover, on the install I did
last week, I needed to hunt down drivers for the ethernet, sound, and
video cards for Windows, while Linux on the same machine installed
flawlessly. This is the first time in nine or ten months that I've had
Windows in the house, and the experience was enough to make me regret
giving into the family request that I install it. So, clearly, there is
a whole range of experience.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada