Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Sep 9 00:13:40 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>

>>> The reason for Fedora is to find out what things work. But why must
>>> Fedora work for everyone?
>  was not, then why should it be expected to? You have been
> pointed to distributions that do provide what you want. So why not
> use one of them, and let Fedora pursue its own goal? It is filling
> the needs of its intended audience. Why should it be expected to do
> more then that?  (I have tried presenting this point several
> different ways...)
>
> Mikkel

    You guys are making the point that Fedora is not for the everyday
person. This is obvious since the people like me using F7 as a Personal
Computer are in a minority, like 95 to 1 against doing this. The huge
majority have mastered the ability to load Windows or they bought the
computer with Windows on it.

    I am weird. My new computer is one that comes with no operating
system and I had problems with the nVidia hardware which is not Linux
friendly. But nVidia makes a RPM that fixes F7 so it works fine with it.

    At this point I am happy with F7 and will try here long after most
of you run off to Febora 8 and maybe F9 :-)

    There are still changes to be made but the basic computer and the
Fedora 7 Operating System is just what I want. For my personal computer.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User