a question about udev rule 50-libsane.rules

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Sep 9 01:02:19 UTC 2007

Scott wrote:
> Mikkel,
>
> Now the permissions in console.perms did not take over correctly.
> The scanner for the Brother is supposed to be set at 0666 and I
> forget where the original setting is at but the scanner is not able
> to be used under the user's name. So how would one go about changing
> that permission to 0666?
>
> Scott

Sctot, is the scanner symlink being created? If not, then that needs
to be fixed in order for console.perms to work correctly. The other
choice is to change the udev rule so it creates a different symlink
- maybe brother, and has MODE="0666" as part of the rule.

SYSFS{idVendor}=="<brother vender id>", SYSFS{idProduct}=="<240c
product ID>", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="brother-%k"

Also, changing or adding a udev rule will not affect an existing
device. So you will have to unplug the printer, wait 30 second of
more, and plug it back in.

The console.perms sets the permissions of the scanner to 600, but it
also sets the owner to the user currently logged into the console,
or root if there is no user logged in. The theory behind this is
that only the person logged in at the local machine should be using
the scanner. If you are sure you want to change this, you can add a
file /etc/security/console.perms.d/60-scanner.perms and put in a
line "<console>  0600 <scanner>    0666 root". The 0600 is the
permissions when someone is logged into the console, and the 0666 is
when no-one is. Change the 0600 to 0666 if you want everyone to have
access all the time. This is supposed to overrule the scanner rule
in 50-default.perms, but I have not tested it.

Mikkel