Re: Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Erich Zigler wrote:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 05:24:14 -0600 Karl Larsen <k5di zianet com> wrote:

I recall a kernel before a udev update on F7 that stopped all the USB plugin memory to stop working. Then the udev update arrived and
all worked again. Now I'm worried that a new kernel will cause my
nVIDIA fix to fail. Or a udev update.
This didn't cause the computer to not boot, but it does make you gun-shy.

Regarding your NVIDIA issue usually the people over at Livna [1] are
quite fast about pushing out a new RPM with a new kernel. When you do a
yum update and notice a new kernel make sure that a new kmod-nvidia is
in there too.

If you want to run a Linux distribution that has very little chance of
breaking with updates please take a look at Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Desktop or CentOS.

1: I am sure other RPM repositories are just as quick. I do not have
any experience with them though.

I know where I am and will be careful. A kernel update is not a real problem because you can keep using this old one. But some others can be a problem. I will not change this computer to another operating system, and I like it the way it is right now.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User