Re: Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Ed Greshko wrote:

I'm pretty much OK with your summary...except for the last paragraph.  I
don't feel the intention/target of the Fedora Project was/is
"Deployment in
a large enterprise".  If that is one of the intentions, I would like
to know
where it is stated.
It isn't, hence the necessity for Ubuntu or other distribution that is
intended to be usable.  I just think the fedora developers could do it
better and keep the RH style administration so more people would be
potential customers for RHEL on their servers.

I doubt customers of RHEL use Fedora as their decision making criteria.  I
know none of projects I've been involved with at large enterprises have done
so.

Did a consultant or in-house employee make the decision? I deploy the servers in our company, and the time it would take to learn the details of administration on a different distribution is very much a factor.

Along that line, that has also been the case for other consultants I've
talked with.  I don't feel my experience is unique.

Consultants don't mind having more billable hours... And they probably prefer that the companies paying them have no in-house expertise.

FWIW, I wouldn't deploy Ubuntu at a large enterprise either.....

What would you deploy that has firefox 2.x OpenOffice 2.2, and other current desktop applications?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com