Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 04:30:37 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> I'm pretty much OK with your summary...except for the last paragraph.  I
>>> don't feel the intention/target of the Fedora Project was/is
>>> "Deployment in
>>> a large enterprise".  If that is one of the intentions, I would like
>>> to know
>>> where it is stated.
>> It isn't, hence the necessity for Ubuntu or other distribution that is
>> intended to be usable.  I just think the fedora developers could do it
>> better and keep the RH style administration so more people would be
>> potential customers for RHEL on their servers.
>
> I doubt customers of RHEL use Fedora as their decision making criteria.  I
> know none of projects I've been involved with at large enterprises have done
> so.

Did a consultant or in-house employee make the decision?  I deploy the
servers in our company, and the time it would take to learn the details
of administration on a different distribution is very much a factor.

> Along that line, that has also been the case for other consultants I've
> talked with.  I don't feel my experience is unique.

Consultants don't mind having more billable hours...  And they probably
prefer that the companies paying them have no in-house expertise.

> FWIW, I wouldn't deploy Ubuntu at a large enterprise either.....

What would you deploy that has firefox 2.x OpenOffice 2.2, and other
current desktop applications?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com