Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 17:10:46 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
>> What do you mean by 'know not to compare'?  FC3 and FC6 were virtually
>> identical to the cuts of RHEL at the corresponding times give or take an
>>   application version or two.  If you are considering a deployment on an
>> upcoming RHEL release, fedora is as close as you are going to get to
>> that code base for testing prior to the release.
>
> Even better, have a little patience and wait until after the release, when the
> inevitable Centos or SL distro will follow and take a look at them first...
> As close to RHEL as you can get for free.
>
> Doesn't make any sens to me for a company to base any discussion on using a
> given RHEL release, based on looking at Fedora that may or may not compare
> well.

Assume that your own application will take around a year to write/test
before deployment.  Do you wait to start that work until after the
release of the OS and libraries you will be using, develop on something
you know is wildly different, or do you try to use something as close as
possible, knowing that backwards compatibility isn't taken very
seriously in the Linux kernel and distribution world?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com