Do I have an ssh problem?

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Mon Sep 10 17:26:15 UTC 2007

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> On Monday, Sep 10th 2007 at 08:53 +0100, quoth Andy Green:
>
> =>Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> =>> I have a core 4 box that has behaved admirably for a long time. I just
> =>> added an F7 box where SE is disabled.
> =>>
> =>> Here's my problem. On the F7 box, I just happen to have a half dozen
> =>> files that are about 8Gig. When I try to transfer a file using scp to
> =>> the FC7 box ssh, the F7 box just crashes. Sometimes it crashes around
> =>> 300M, sometimes 300M, my latest died at 567M.
>
> Mea culpa. I meant to say that I was transferring from f7 to the FC4 box.
>>From FC4, the command was:
>
> scp pluto:/tmp/file.iso .
>
> =>> F7 happens to have two NICs and the crash happens regardless of which
> =>> NIC I use. (I tried both hoping that it might be a hardware problem, but
> =>> I won't buy that both are bad.) Smaller transfers and regular network
> =>> traffic work just fine. There is nothing in syslog on either side when
> =>> it happens.
> =>
> =>Doubt it's anything to do with scp or ssh, it sounds more like a generic
> =>memory or heat problem, or an issue with the NIC or HDD controller
> =>driver under load.  Can you see the F7 box video output in text mode and
> =>see if it blows a panic?  You can also try monitoring
> =>/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperature on the F7 box in another ssh
> =>session while the transfer progresses.
>
> Thanks Andy. Good idea. I'll try that next shot.

Don't have an answer, just a confirmation that I have the exact same
problem here.

I'm running 2 FC6 boxes. Each has a VIA based motherboard, with the
on-chip NIC and a Nat Semi add on NIC. Got a mix of PATA and SATA
disks on both boxes.

I get random lockups on the machine that initiates the file transfer.
No panic, just a hard lockup. The receiving machine is still working fine.

I've got new cables, and a straight thru cable (bypassing my router),
and I've tried all combinations of NIC connections. Usually breaks at
some point (usually after a Gig or so has transferred). Small
transfers and other network traffic work fine.

CPU temp 25 - 30 C. I've got lots of fans!

I've learned to live with it.

Regards,

John