Re: Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Les Mikesell wrote:

Anyone who has deployed fedora on desktops in a large enterprise, accepts the updates and has never had problems please feel free to jump in and contradict me - I'd love to be proven wrong here, but even FC6 recently pushed an update kernel that wouldn't boot on some pretty mainstream Dell and IBM machines with scsi controllers.

Seriously Les, I don't know if this qualifies but we support 180 Fedora desktops in a university and a handful of servers running Fedora. The rest are primarily RHEL with the odd Solaris box. The hardware has changed almost every year but the number of machines has remained stable. I can't recall a kernel update that has caused major breakage and since the RedHat days we've used FC2, FC4, FC5 and now F7. The only real PITA with regards to kernel updates is reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers after a kernel update.

--
Ian Chapman.