Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 10 19:02:11 UTC 2007

On Monday 10 September 2007 7:41:51 pm Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:38:59 +0100
>
> Ian Chapman <packages at amiga-hardware.com> wrote:
> > The hardware has
> > changed almost every year ...
> >
>  > The only
> >
> > real PITA with regards to kernel updates is reinstalling the NVIDIA
> > drivers after a kernel update.
>
> Serious question:  Since you have such a high turnover in your hardware, is
> there any particular reason why you keep on buying the Nvidia video cards
> instead of switching to something with better native support so as to avoid
> the pain?

How where the nvidia drivers installed ? There are easy and hard ways of doing
it.

Hard way is to use the nvidia installer each time.

Easy way is to use one of the rpms (e.g. livna). If you also install the yum
plugin, which makes sure kernels are updated only when all the kernel module
you need are available, then its no effort at all. I used this on FC6 and F7,
and once set up I don't recall having to perform any user intervention after
an update.

Chris