Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Mon Sep 10 19:16:30 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:

> How where the nvidia drivers installed ? There are easy and hard ways of doing
> it.
>
> Hard way is to use the nvidia installer each time.
>
> Easy way is to use one of the rpms (e.g. livna). If you also install the yum
> plugin, which makes sure kernels are updated only when all the kernel module
> you need are available, then its no effort at all. I used this on FC6 and F7,
> and once set up I don't recall having to perform any user intervention after
> an update.

Admittedly I haven't tried in a while but I was well aware of the RPMs
at livna however the problem is that we run several proprietary
applications (Softimage XSI, Maya etc) which make all manor of
assumptions about what libraries are where. IIRC livna essentially
places the libs in a separate location and adds that to the ld.so.conf
file in a system friendly manner, unlike the NVidia installer which
backs up your existing GL libs and replaces them with its own. XSI and
Maya don't care and will simply use the default which leads to a segfault.

--
Ian Chapman.