Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Sep 10 21:15:12 UTC 2007

Ian Chapman wrote:

> The only
> real PITA with regards to kernel updates is reinstalling the NVIDIA
> drivers after a kernel update.

FWIW, I wrote a simple script that runs under cron checking the NVIDIA
website for updates and downloads them.

Then a simple addition to rc.local will check to see if the nvidia driver is
either "old" or matches the running kernel and then proceeds to rebuild the
driver if necessary.  No fuss, no muss.  Also, Dell has something on their
websites that does the same function.  Forgot what it is called.

Sorry, I suppose this is OT since it is "Fedora Philosophy" being talked
about and not "How to easily maintain drivers from NVIDIA".