Fedora philosophy...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:06:04 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>>>
>>> At last, we get to the real problem - You want to develop for the
>>> next release of RHEL, but Fedora is changing to fast for you to be
>>> able use Fedora for that.
>> No, I have no problem with Fedora being used for testing and development
>> in any situation where being down for inderminate amounts of of time or
>> doing without security updates is acceptable.  You are taking what I
>> said way out of context.
>>
> Strange - I could have sworn it was you who was complaining about
> kernel updates causing a machine to not boot.

Yes, I did say that makes the system not usable for anything but testing
purposes.

> I have yet to hear why
> rebooting and picking the old kernel at the grub menu does not work.

I'm sure I mentioned the fact that you are doing without security
updates when you do this.  Again, this may not be a problem on a test
system.

> That should give you access to your data.

I can't remember now if the firewire drive issues were all fixed by
reverting the kernel or not.  I think there were other problems but I
gave up on fedora on that box.

> It is hard to follow your
> arguments when your position keeps changing depending on what you
> are trying to argue ageist. As for taking what you said out of
> context, I included the entire paragraph, and replied to it. I
> didn't take one sentence out of a paragraph and pretend it
> represented the idea being expressed. Maybe you should be clearer in
> what you write.
>
>>> So you want Fedora development to change
>>> to allow you to do that. Otherwise it is too much work to develop
>>> your project. It must not be a user-space application, because there
>>> you find things like compat libraries.
>> Sometimes, sometimes not.  Suppose you had developed something as an
>> add-on to CIPE tunnels on the RHEL3/kernel 2.4.  There's no concession
>> to backwards compatibility on RHEL4 and later.
>>
> Yes, some things do get thrown out, because they turn out to be a
> dead end and/or a security risk. Redesigning thing when you find the
> original design was not the best way to do it is part of what makes
> Linux what it is.

No, copying the unix design and running all the applications that were
written for unix is what made Linux what it is.  When it quits doing
that I'll quit using it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com