Re: Fedora 7 telnet-server problem

John Wendel wrote:

> I don't have it installed, but isn't telnet usually started by xinetd?
>  So, "chkconfig telnet on" won't do anything?  Or does it modify the
> xinetd conf file?

It modifies the file with the matching name in the /etc/xinet.d
directory. It changes the "disable = yes" to "disable = no". You can
check it on one of the services provided by xinetd. Look at the
discard-stream file. Then run "chkconfig discard-stream on" and see
how it changed.

Also, from the chkconfig man page:
chkconfig also can manage xinetd scripts via the means of xinetd.d
configuration files.  Note that only the on, off, and --list
commands are supported for xinetd.d services.

Mikkel